Wound healing is a gradual process. The incision site usually has a pink tint until 6 months and thenlittle by little turns into a fine white line which is almost fading.
Eyelid surgery leads to advantageous results including:
• Peripheral visual field improvement
• Increased self-confidence
• Lasting results for many years, sometimes lifelong
When an eyelid surgery is done by a highly experienced eye specialistcomplications are infrequent.Of course, like any other surgery, there is always the potential risk of complications such as infection or allergy to the anesthetic. Following doctor’s instructions, before and after surgery, will reduce the risk of complications. Some minor post- surgery complications include:
• Temporary diplopia or blurred vision
• Swollen eyelid
• Asymmetry between right and left sides
• Tiny whiteheads after your stitches are taken out
These are usually temporary and will gradually resolve within a few weeks.
- Following surgery, some patients may have difficulty closing their eyes especially when they sleep, leading to dry eyes and irritation. This is usually mild and gradually improves after a few weeks. Using artificial tears or moisturizing ointment at bedtime can help to control this mode; but if it is severe and lasts for a long time, it can cause scratches on the cornea or corneal ulcer which can lead to serious visual problems and should be corrected by a second surgery.
- Very rarely, postoperative bleeding may occur which by creating pressure on the optic nerve may lead to severe and persistent vision loss. To prevent this complication, patients should avoid bending their heads and doing heavy activity. In case of any severe pain or loss of visual acuity,they should immediately go to the doctor.
- There are some illnesses which increase the risk of surgical complications. Diseases such as hyperthyroidism or Graves’ diseases, dry eye, cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure and diabetes can increase the risk of surgery.
- Also history of retinal detachment or glaucoma can also increase the risks of surgery.
For an accurate understanding of risks and to prevent them, it is necessary to discuss all the medical problems, medications and illnesses with your doctor and a precise consultation should be done before surgery.